Grant Park was established in 1882 and one of Atlanta’s largest Historic Districts and home to Zoo Atlanta, 131 acres of green space and recreational area, Oakland Cemetery and the Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum. The neighborhood was named for L.P. Grant, a civil engineer for the Georgia Railroad who has been called the “Father of Atlanta.” Large Victorian era mansions, small cottages, early 20th-century bungalows and many brick paved sidewalks characterize the Grant Park neighborhood. Grant Park began its most recent revitalization in the early 1970’s and continues today. Demolition of older homes has largely been halted and new construction seeks to conform to the character of the old neighborhood. Grant Park prides itself on its diversity with people of all levels of education, age and racial backgrounds living in the same neighborhood.
Grant Park is a 131-acre green space and recreational area and is the fourth-largest park in the city, behind Chastain Park, Freedom Park and Piedmont Park. Zoo Atlanta, established in 1889 and originally known as the Grant Park Zoo, is located in the park and attracts more than 1 million visitors annually.